Wednesday 17 January 2018

From AdamC - Irish Warriors and Some Bones (191 points)


Here are the  Irish Warriors by Footsore Miniatures!


 First up Ulf the Quarrelsome A hero of the Viking age in Saga.  Said to be a brother of  Brian Boru who avenged his death.   As a special character I decided to paint an attempt at a Celtic design even though Irish shields were not painted during the dark ages. I'm realy pleased with how the shield looks.

I may use him as a warlord or as an Irish Curaidh or Champion  in Saga.


 Backing Ulf up are 12 Fianna (Hearthguards).  Eight of these fellows are new figures form Footsore providing Fianna with weapons other than Dane Axes.


  All have helmets and about half have chain mail (fairly rare in Ireland during this period) Some have Javelins/Spears with a second weapon for back up.


I gave one a Falchon from my bits box... not a particularly Irish weapon but it was a common sword type through out history.


 The last Four Fianna have been taken form the ranks of the Irish warriors and given an extra weapon from my bits box as a second side arm.


 These guys might provide me with an extra point of Hearthguards if I want them or get mixed in with the regular warriors as "unit leaders."


True Saga doesn't have anything like unit leaders but they would exist even if they don't have a game effect.

Next up we have 24 Irish "Bonnachtsor Warriors these are trained men but with only light equipment a spear, a shield, maybe a long knife or short sword or similar hand weapon as back up, if they are lucky.

 Footsore did some great sculpts with a lot of dynamic movement.


My only complaint is that some of the guys look very similar.  I suppose that's not  bad thing as they come form dark age villages and many of these men are probably related.


 As you can see some don't have much more than their weapons.  I find it odd that any man would choose to go into battle nude but some folks seem to think the Irish did. The sharp eyed will note that even some of the least well dressed have a gold pin or broach for their cloaks or tunic.


My logic here is such items were typically gifts form a man's chieftain or king, marking him as a valued warrior and thus one might be reluctant to trade such an item for a pair of shoes or even a shirt.

Once again I tried to keep most of these men with in a common color palate with medium gray as the base color.  Most of the leather work(belts, pouches and sheaths) is also in a common red-brown color as I assume the region would have only a few tanners.   I did some brighter and more individual colors onto the Fianna and Ulf being "royal" is still more colourful. Even in these cases I wanted to keep things fairly muted.  The Purple heather flowers add some color and help tie the force together.


All in all there are 37 Irish ready for battle. Brian Boru and some additional Irish are still on the table but not quite ready to go just yet. I may try to get some additional photos as I'm not really satisfied with the ones I got here.


Finally we  have this fellow a Werebat or feral vampire great for Frostgrave or any horror related game. I had intended to use him as my "Flight"  entry but I wasn't happy with how it was progressing at the time.

 I'm still not 100% happy with the results I would have liked the wings to look a bit more membranous but we can't have everything and done is better than perfect.  He's standard 28mm figure so 5 Points unless Ray wants to give me something for the terrain base he comes with.   So all in all we have 38 25/28mm figures for 190 points (maybe a little higher if Ray thinks the base of the bat or Ulfs shield are work something extra)  not quite the Irish Points Bomb (200+ I believe is the level)  I was going for but I didn't want to rush the "royal" portion of the army.  This will probably be my biggest entry of the challenge and I am glad to have this army field ready.

From Ray

That's quite a collection Adam, looks like you've been a very busy boy! Although its not the paint bomb you wanted, it's still more than my actual total!
38 x 25mm figures gives you a total of 190 points
And I'll give you an extra point for being so bleedin' cheeky and asking for extra points!


21 comments:

  1. Oh Cheeky am I :) Thanks this project has been a long haul starting on day one of the challenge. Glad to have the bulk of it done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He may be cheeky, but he pumped out a lot of figures! Well done Adam. I like the Chieftan's shield and the mass Irish shot at the top is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonnes of really cool stuff, love the werebat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff Adam.. that Celtic shiekd came out well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on Ulf's shield design Adam (was the back meant to be white?) and a big bunch of figures and points :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and shhhh you’re not supposed to notice... I caught that as I was posting the picture

      Delete
  6. Nice work, Adam! That may not be a big bomb like you wished, but that is a heap of Irish ready to rumble in Saga!
    I like the work you did to make them different, the only thing I dislike of metals is the ever present mirror troops! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I tried to limit the "same guy diffent pose" by adding small items or diffent paint jobs. Still I works OK for the Dark Ages most of these guys are probably cousins and probably some brothers, fathers and sons mixed in.

      Delete
  7. Very nicely done Adam, I am sure I will see them soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to running them against you in a game. But first we have a little affair in North Africa to finish up.

      Delete
  8. Nice looking Irish and werebat and I heartily agree that "done is better than perfect "!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a load of miniatures! I really need to start painting fast as well, or you can just cruise to victory in our side duel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think your doing well and it will be a near run thing... Especialy if more snow lands in my area.

      Delete
  10. That is a great pile of Irish rovers to be sure. Well done Adam. The white-backed shield obviously means he's the champion of the mob. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Curt.. Yes that obvioulsy what it means :)

      Delete
  11. That’s a coherent force! I like the were-bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bakrs. I think the common base color and basing works to make them seem conherent without being "uniform"

      Delete